Dental impressions are needed for many dental treatments and procedures. The entire dental impression process used to be time-consuming and uncomfortable for our dental team and our patients.
At Victorian Village Dental Care in Columbus, Ohio, we no longer use the traditional method that involves using putty and trays to take impressions. Instead, we take digital impressions to create accurate, customizable dental appliances.
Why Use Digital Impressions?
With physical impressions, several things could go wrong that would prevent us from getting an accurate and detailed final impression. By taking digital impressions, we eliminate many of the following problems that cause defects or distortions to the final impression.
- The putty used for physical impressions may not set properly due to improper material prep or because it is expired. With digital impressions, we no longer use the putty material and therefore eliminate this issue.
- Movement of the impression trays causes distortions and defects in the final impression. Digital impressions don’t use large, bulky trays. Instead, a small hand-held scanner, about the size of a pen, is used to take multiple images that are combined to create the 3D digital impression.
- When physical impressions were distorted or inaccurate, we needed to repeat the entire impression creation process, mixing materials, placing trays, and having the patient sit still for several minutes — again. With digital impressions, all we need to do is rescan the mouth, which takes just a few minutes.
Other Benefits of Digital Impressions
Some of the other benefits of taking digital impressions include:
- It is quick and easy to take digital impressions. This faster process means shorter appointments and less time in the dental chair.
- Our dental team can easily share the digital impressions with the companies we work with to create dental restorations, orthodontic devices, and dental appliances. Sending the files to other providers and specialists is a breeze.
- The patient experience is improved with digital impressions. Our patients no longer have to sit around with sticky, gooey putty in their mouths.
- With digital impressions, the scanner can be started and stopped without compromising the final impression. Because of this feature, our dental team can easily accommodate a patient’s request for a break during the impression-taking process. This is extremely helpful for patients who suffer from an extreme gag reflex, find it difficult to sit still, or who suffer from dental anxiety.
Learn More About Digital Impressions
We encourage you to contact our office at 614-298-1543 to request an appointment. Our dental team will gladly answer any questions about this impressive technology.