Replacement of Teeth with Implants
At Victorian Village Dental Care in Columbus, Ohio, offering dental implants as part of our comprehensive dental services allows us to combine our passion for creating beautiful smiles with our commitment to helping patients improve their oral health.
What Is a Dental Implant?
In the most basic of terms, a dental implant is an artificial tooth that looks, feels and acts just like your natural tooth.
A dental implant uses a small metal screw, or post, to act like the root of your natural teeth. The screw is surgically placed into the bone of the jaw. Over time, the bone where the screw is placed regrows and holds the screw in place.
Once the small screw is stabilized and supported by the bone in the jaw, a custom-made dental restoration, such as implants, crowns or bridges, is then securely attached. With the combination of the enhanced support of the metal post, the stabilization of the jaw bone, and a custom-made dental restoration, a dental implant can be just as strong, if not stronger, than your natural tooth.
Will My Previous Dental Work Affect Implants?
Previous dental work shouldn’t hold you back when it comes to perfecting your smile. Dental implants make it possible to change your smile even when restorative dental work, such as dental fillings or bridges, has been performed.
Many cosmetic dental procedures require us to shave or file a tooth to prep the area for the placement of the dental restoration. Unfortunately, if you had previous restorative work performed on a tooth, shaving or filing it down could further weaken an already weak tooth.
Dental implants don’t rely upon your natural teeth to provide support and stabilization. In fact, your natural tooth is removed as part of the dental implant placement process. This makes them an ideal choice for patients who want to change their teeth and gums in areas where dental restoration work was performed.
Benefits of Dental Implants
The use of dental implants to replace missing teeth is growing in popularity because of its many benefits:
- With proper care and maintenance, dental implants can last 10, 20 or even 30 years.
- Dr. Martinez carefully designs the dental restoration placed on the implant post to look just like your natural teeth.
- Dental implants are cared for just like your natural teeth. All you need is to follow a good daily oral hygiene routine and schedule regular dental hygiene exams, and your dental implant will function properly for many years.
- Support surrounding teeth preventing them from shifting their position
- If a tooth goes missing and it is not replaced, the bone of the jaw will start to shrink. That bone loss can never be reversed. A dental implant prevents bone loss by “tricking” the jaw bone into thinking a natural tooth is still there.
- Dental implants can be used in combination with a number of other dental services and treatments to help you achieve your perfect smile.
Request an appointment for a personalized consultation with Dr. Martinez to see how you could benefit from dental implants.